The BC Games Society is a Crown Agency and is incorporated under the Societies Act. Responsible to Minister Bill Bennett, Ministry of Community, Sport, and Cultural Development, the purpose of the Society is:
|To provide an opportunity for the development of athletes, coaches, and officials in preparation for higher levels of competition in a multi-sport event which promotes interest and participation in sport and sporting activities, individual achievement, and community development.
Shareholders' Letter of Expectation
Board Composition and Succession
The Board of Directors of the BC Games Society is community based and geographically representative of the province. Fifteen members are appointed by Ministerial Order: two of the members are representatives of the Affiliated Games associated with the BC Games Society (Northern BC Winter Games Society and BC Disability Games Society). The Board also has a position for a Sport Branch representative from the Ministry of Community, Sport and Cultural Development.
One of the roles of the President and CEO is to determine, in concert with the Board Resourcing and Development Office, potential candidates for appointment to the Board.
The Board of Directors of the BC Games Society:
- Is committed to gender equity in the administration, policies, programs, and activities of the Society.
- Reviews, on an annual basis, overall BC Summer and BC Winter Games budgets; policies and rules; financial and operating reports.
- Reviews and approves all BC Summer and BC Winter Games contracts, including corporate partner contracts, financial agreements between the Provincial Government and host communities and television negotiations.
- Determines the Core and Optional sport criteria that is used to qualify sports for each BC Summer and BC Winter Games.
- Reviews the Host Community bid application procedure and designs criteria for site selection.
- Reviews incoming bid applications and prepares a short list based on the established criteria. In cooperation with the President and CEO, recommends to the Minister of Community, Sport and Cultural Development a final site selection.
The BC Games Society Board of Directors meets three times per year, generally on the last Friday of January, May, and October. The Board of Directors receive no remuneration for their Board or Committee work.
The Executive Committee, the Finance Committee, the Marketing and Communications Committee, and the Sport Committee make up the four committees of the Board.
For additional information on the Board and Committees, select the appropriate link below. Acrobat Reader is required to view these documents.