Greater Vernon 2012 BC Winter Games Legacy Funds Distributed

Greater Vernon 2012 BC Winter Games Legacy Funds Distributed

Author: BC Games Society/Saturday, February 23, 2013/Categories: 2012 BC Winter Games

Rate this article:
No rating

VERNON - The Greater Vernon 2012 BC Winter Games Society announced today that over $117,000 in surplus funds from the Games held in February 2012 will be distributed to local sport organizations and community interest groups.

The purpose of the Legacy Fund is to provide financial support to non-profit sport, recreation, and community organizations serving the Greater Vernon region and School District #22.  In total, 21 organizations will benefit from the Legacy Funds with 75% earmarked for projects that will continue to support the growth of sport in the community while the remaining 25% directed to non-sport organizations. In addition to this funding, the BC Winter Games left legacies such as the purchase of more than $33,000 worth of sport equipment that has remained in the community, as well as the substantial volunteer training including 85 volunteers who completed the World Host® training program. 

“Clearly, the Greater Vernon 2012 BC Winter Games were far more than four days of athleticism and celebration.  They were a true community opportunity where not just sport benefited from that outstanding volunteer and business support we saw one year ago,” said Vernon-Monashee MLA Eric Foster.  “We are seeing in these legacy investments more opportunities for citizens of Greater Vernon which will last long into the future.  Some of these sport investments made here will no doubt generate our next BC Winter Games athletes.” 

"We are really pleased to see so many community groups benefit from the Legacy Fund. The Greater Vernon 2012 BC Winter Games was a huge community success story; from more than 2200 volunteers who stepped up last year, to the incredible support from the business community, and now to share the Legacy Funds," said Society President Akbal Mund. "It feels great to be able to support the community and recognize those efforts of all." 

The Games Legacy Fund is comprised of profits from souvenir sales, savings from dollars not expended in the operating budget, surplus equipment, and interest earned. The grants were announced at a special event which recognized the groups receiving funding and was an opportunity to remember the successes of the Games and how the community was brought together.



Akbal Mund, President                                            
Greater Vernon 2012 BC Winter Games
250 550-0388
Lia Threlfall
Communications Manager
BC Games Society


The following are the recipients of the Greater Vernon 2012 BC Winter Games Legacy Funds: 

  • North Okanagan Sports Society: $41,000 for sport facility infrastructure plan and implementation
  • Vernon Figure Skating Club: $5,263 for a sound system and install 
  • Vernon Curling Club: $800 for a video recording camera; $3,660 for Junior Program equipment including brooms, shoes, and stabilizers
  • Vernon Ringette Association: $3,500 for equipment including helmets
  • Vernon Freestyle Club: $4,500 for trampolines
  • Sovereign Lake Nordic Club: $2,060 for equipment; $2,000 for eight radios
  • Monashee Archers:  $2,000 for targets and target butts
  • Vernon Speed Skating Club:  $8,392 for equipment including skates, sharpening jig and mobilaper
  • Vernon Ski Club: $4,000 timing equipment
  • Silver Star Mountain Resort:  $5,000 elementary school learn to ski program
  • Vernon Parks and Rec.: $5,000 food warmers
  • Vernon Public Art Gallery:  $6,500 for three drop-down banners on parkade
  • HUB Arts Collective: $1,600 lighting
  • Caetani Cultural House: $5,000 photography project including cameras and mounting costs
  • Gallery Vertigo: $2,500 for training workshop for high school students and materials
  • Kalamalka Highlanders Pipe Band Society: $1,000 for hosting Okanagan International Tattoo
  • Vernon Community Arts Center: $5,400 for mural project, materials, and equipment
  • Okanagan Indian Band: $2,000 for cultural event
  • Alexis Park Elementary School: $2,000 for sports equipment
  • Harwood Elementary School: $2,000 for playground upgrade
  • BX Elementary School: $2,000 for playground upgrade 

Number of views (2977)/Comments (0)

Please login or register to post comments.

Theme picker